Monday, August 23, 2010

Past, but not forgotten

All Photos by Liz Jones

Ok, many days have passed, and I was finally able to get my teeth clean. But the Southern Oregon World of Wine judging internship has far from faded. My education and foray into the world of Southern Oregon Wine has just begun.

Day 1 judging included private winery tours at RoxyAnn Vineyard, Schmidt Family Vineyard and Troon Vineyard. Judges listened as each winemaker explained their favored approach and wine-making philosophy. Each seemed slightly different and seemed to meet the judges ear with varying degrees of approval.



Immediately following the 2nd day of judging, I was invited on WOW's tab to the celebratory dinner where winners were announced. Incidentally, my husband Greg had also been invited as a pre-paid guest, and I was to be his date... you could say I was a double dipping guest, so I made sure to try and taste from as many wineries as I could.


Master of Wine and WOW judge Patrick Comisky asked to be seated at my table… Though I wanted to think it was because of my personal charm , truth is, he just wanted to get a chance to talk with that wine-scientist husband of mine. None-the-less, I obliged and gave the writer access. (Greg Jones and Patrick Comisky)

It was my intent to keep the WOW results under wraps. But it seems WOW organizers had something else in mind.

Unlike previous years, they announced the list of winners immediately after the 2nd day of Judging. The list is out now... and can be accessed at:

http://www.examiner.com/wine-in-medford/2010-world-of-wine-festival-winners-and-what-the-judges-had-to-say/

But if you only care about the BIG WINNERS… ’s all you need to know is this:

BEST OF SHOW
Cliff Creek Cellars 2008 Tribute
Daisy Creek 2009 Triple Play
Quady North 2008 Cabernet Franc

Onto another fine wine event story:


Now it just so happens I attended Abacela’s Annual Fiesta (along with about 250 wine club members). It was a glorious event complete with a professional Flamenco Dance troop (Sol Flamenco), winery tours and deep discounts on Abacela wines.

The event is just another great example of the fine music and culture that Southern Oregon Winery’s are hosting for dedicated groupies. Let me tell you… it is totally worth joining a wine club for the privilege of these private events. I know many Southern Oregon wineries hold them, so check it out.

I for one found myself the enjoying terrific weather, gorgeous views, amazing food and found myself to be the first on the dance floor to try out my amateur Flamenco moves.
Arms up… elbows up… rotate wrists in lovely fan like formation… move feet to unusual rhythms…stomp loudly and yell O-LAY!



No comments:

Post a Comment