Saturday, August 28, 2010

WOW Event is just the Begining

Ahh... So many wines... so little time! I arrived late and my time was short... and since after all I have tasted everything entered, I merely tasted a few to reconfirm my remembrances of the wine from during the judging..

I found that arriving late has its advantages. The rush had passed and it was a great time to chat with some of the winemakers and let them know what it is I'll be up to now that I've completed my WOW Internship and my Master's thesis on Southern Oregon Wines in Local restaurants.

So, here's what I explained to them .. and have alluded to in earlier posts. This Blog does not end here... This is just the beginning!


For some months to come, I'll be working on an exciting online Wine Service Education Program for Southern Oregon Wine Hospitality. Whether you work in a tasting room, a wine bar, a restaurant, a catering company or what have you... this program will be a gift to yourself... and to your employer, especially if you are new to the wine biz.

What it boils down to is myself, winemaker Chanda Miller and Chef Helena Darling are developing an online Wine Hospitality program for anyone serving or selling Southern Oregon Wine. Here's what we're aiming for:

o Intelligently written content
o Sales and service info & tips useful in every wine sales or service interaction
o Ability to be taken off-duty at the servers’ convenience
o A strikingly designed slide-show
o Printable support materials
o Compelling voice narration
o Beautiful still photography
o Embedded streaming video clips
o Succinct 15 minute segments
o Multiple choice quiz at end of each segment
o Ability to retake quiz as needed
o Ability to assign, monitor and access documented training history
o Ability to print a personalized certificate of completion
o Cost of under $50 per individual
o Key important wine and wine service topics to include:
• Southern Oregon geography, climate, soils and prevalent varietals
• Basic wine service and wine selling techniques
• Varietal characteristics and food pairings;
• The social, economic and environmental advantages of buying local wine.

Individuals who take the course will proudly present a certificate of completion to any food or wine service employer showing he or she is a highly qualified applicant.

It may be anywhere from 6 months to a year away from happening... but you can follow it's progress here... and we welcome your encouragement, feedback and suggestions.


Sincerely,
Your 2010 World of Wine Intern

Liz Jones
Southern Oregon Wine Education Team - Project Manager
Liz-greg@ashlandhome.net

1 comment:

  1. I feel like I’m often looking for interesting things to read about a variety of subjects, but I manage to include your blog among my reads every day.Cheap web hosting india

    ReplyDelete